Sunseekers enjoy 77F heat today before 60 hours of thunderstorms
Enjoy it while it lasts! Sunseek
Enjoy it while it lasts! Sunseekers enjoy 77F heat today before 60 hours of soaking thunderstorms - though it may hit 96F by the end of the week
- Brits to soak up fine dry and sunny weather over rest of the weekend - with temperatures hitting 80F in south
- Forecasters warn over 'unpredictable' thunderstorms dropping up to 60mm that could dominate Monday
- Conditions will remain warm and very muggy into midweek as temperatures climb to 90F
- Heavy rainfall could affect areas of the south west - Meaning be prepared for the iconic Glastonbury mud
Sunseekers have been told to enjoy the glorious sunshine while it lasts, as forecasters say 'unpredictable' thunderstorms will cover the UK by Sunday.
Britain is braced to break its 35.6C (96F) June temperature record tomorrow - as a 2,000-mile wide African air plume starts Europe's record heatwave.
Hot air moving in from the south is shown on a dramatic weather map covering Britain and stretching down to Spain and as far north as Norway.
A mass ascent of 16 hot air balloons took place from Weston-super-Mare beach to officially open the 2019 Weston Air Festival earlier today as Britain basks in glorious sunshine. A 'dry, fine and sunny' weather will brings highs of around 25C in the south
Boats sit at low tide in the Axe Estuary, Devon in beautiful country surrounds. Britain is braced to break its 35.6C (96F) June temperature record tomorrow - as a 2,000-mile wide African air plume starts Europe's record heatwave
The Met Office forecast highs of 28C for Sunday and on Midsummer's Day, followed by up to 31C on Tuesday, 32C on Wednesday and 35C on Thursday and Friday – which could beat June's 35.6C record, set on June 29, 1957, in London, and June 28, 1976, in Southampton.
But an extensive thunderstorm, formed by hot moist air from the south, will dominate the skies over Britain and could drop over 40mm of rain in the space of an hour in some areas.
Met Office forecaster Simon Partridge said if some areas were 'really unlucky', they could experience downpours of 60mm.
Weather warnings are set to cover the Wales and the north east from 7pm tomorrow, and most of the UK throughout Monday and Tuesday.
'An extensive heatwave is on the way for much of the UK for the best part of a week,' said Simon.
'35C is possible in the UK, with heat from north Africa covering a big area of Europe and up to 41C in western Germany and France.
'After the UK has 28C on Sunday and Monday, there's potential for 31C on Tuesday, 32C on Wednesday and 35C on Thursday and Friday, before 30C on Saturday.
'But it will be muggy with a mix of sunny spells and cloud, cloudiest in the East.
'Thunderstorms until Tuesday could see surface water flooding, with some showers from Wednesday.
'Glastonbury's ground, already wet, could see heavy showers leading into the event and the odd shower during it, so pack wellies but be prepared for heat, with 32C possible.'
The Weather Outlook forecaster Brian Gaze said: 'Highs around June's temperature record are possible as one of Europe's biggest heat plumes for many years arrives.
'There's a 70 per cent chance of 34C and 30 per cent chance of 36C. But thunderstorms are expected to be real firecrackers, with flooding expected. Glastonbury risks quagmire conditions.'
Ex-BBC and Met Office forecaster John Hammond of weathertrending said: 'Blistering heat from near-40C temperatures in Europe look like wafting our way.'
The first Government heat health warning of the year put hospitals on alert for an increase in admissions and ordered health and social workers to prepare to make daily contact with the ill, vulnerable and elderly.
But the Met Office forecast thunderstorms daily until Tuesday, warning of more floods from almost a month's rain in a day - 50mm in England and 100m in Scotland.
Showers follow from Wednesday. Glastonbury, which begins on Wednesday, faces 32C but risks mud after double the usual rainfall – 91mm – soaked Somerset so far this month.
Despite a wet start, the Met Office said summer is 10 times more likely to be much-hotter-than-average than much-cooler-than-average across June, July and August.
Much-hotter-than-usual UK average temperatures are up to 50 per cent probability.
Much-cooler-than-normal conditions are just a five per cent chance.
The Met Office three-month forecast said: 'For June-August as a whole, the probability UK average temperatures will fall into the warmest of our five categories is 45-50 per cent. The coldest category is five per cent.
'The probability of higher-than-average pressure, associated with warmer-than-average conditions, is increased by North Atlantic sea surface temperature patterns. These are similar to, but not as marked, as last year.'
The Met Office 30-day outlook said: 'Temperatures will continue to feel warm. Temperatures during July 6-20 are likely to be slightly above average.'