Son of parents in MH17 attack has spoken out
'You can't hold on to anger': So
'You can't hold on to anger': Son of Australian couple killed on MH17 reacts to news four men are charged with his parents' murder
- Paul Guard spoke out about losing parents Jill and Roger in MH17 attack in 2014
- He said he could not spend life hating men suspected of bringing down plane
- Arrest warrants were made for three Russians and one Ukrainian on Wednesday
- Mr Guard said he remained skeptical the four men would be brought to justice
A son who lost his parents in the MH17 shooting has revealed he refuses to spend his life hating the four men charged with bringing down the Malaysia Airlines flight.
Jill and Roger Guard were two of the 298 people murdered after their plane was shot from the sky as it flew over eastern Ukraine in 2014.
Their grieving son Paul said in order to move on, he could not spend his life hating the three Russians and one Ukrainian who were charged over the attack on Wednesday.
'You can't live your life hating people and holding onto anger,' Mr Guard told 7News.
'I don't want to live in the past and rake over the coals forever'.
Paul Guard (pictured) who lost his parents in the MH17 shooting has revealed he refuses to spend his life hating the four men suspected of bringing down the Malaysian Airlines flight (pictured, at a memorial service for his parents in 2014)
Jill and Roger Guard were two of the 298 people murdered after their plane was shot from the sky as it flew over eastern Ukraine in 2014
Their grieving son Paul said in order to move on, he could not spend his life hating the three Russians and one Ukrainian who were charged over the attack on Wednesday (pictured, wreckage from the attack in 2014)
Authorities have issued arrest warrants for Russians Igor Girkin, Sergey Dubinksy, Oleg Pulatov and Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko.
Mr Guard has waited five years to learn the names of those suspected of carrying out the attack.
Though he remains skeptical that either of the four men will be brought to justice.
A trial will begin in the Netherlands in March 2020, though the four men are likely to be tried in absentia as neither Russia nor Ukraine extradites their nationals.
Mr Guard said he would be surprised if the men 'turned up' to the trial and said there were other ways of healing from this tragedy.
'We can’t make everyone who’s a killer pay a price, it would be nice – but I think the value is not in punishing people but uncovering the facts.'
Prosecutors said Girkin was a former colonel in Russia's FSB intelligence agency who was the self-declared minister of defence in the separatist administration in eastern Ukraine.
Dubinskiy was a former minister from the Russian military intelligence agency GRU, Pulatov was an ex-soldier in Russia's Spetznaz special forces unit and Kharchenko a Ukrainian separatist.
Ukraine's top prosecutor has said the country will try to arrest Kharchenko and, if he is detained, will arrange for him to be tried via video-link. If he is found guilty, Ukraine will impose a sentence.
Of the Russian suspects, Mr Westerbeke said 'in the short term we will ask Russia to hand the summons to the suspects' and will 'ask for Russia to cooperate again with legal help.'
Mr Guard he remains skeptical that either of the four men will be brought to justice
Mr Guard has waited five years to learn the names of those suspected of carrying out the attack
The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) probing the attack includes Australia, Belgium, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Ukraine, representing the countries hardest hit by the disaster.
The Netherlands and Australia said in May last year that they formally 'hold Russia responsible' for the disaster.
Australia said Wednesday's announcement was a 'significant step' towards achieving justice, while NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg said it was "an important milestone in the efforts to uncover the full truth".
Ukraine's foreign ministry urged Russia to 'acknowledge its responsibility', while the office of President Volodymyr Zelensky's said he hoped to see 'everyone who is to blame for the murder of innocent children, women and men" go on trial.
Wilbert Paulissen, national Police chief of the Netherlands, announces murder charges against three Russians and one Ukrainian over the shoot-down of MH17
Igor Girkin (left) and Sergey Dubinsky (right), both Russian ex-intelligence officers, were named by international investigators as two of the men responsible for shooting down MH17
Oleg Pulatov, a Russian ex-army officer, and Leonid Kharchenko, the Ukrainian commander of separatist rebels in the country's east, have also been identified
British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt called on Russia to cooperate fully with investigators on Wednesday, describing the shoot-down as 'a horrific crime' and saying that families of the victims 'deserve justice'.
Moscow has slammed the 'absolutely groundless accusations' of the downing of the plane, claiming the international community had frozen them out of investigations to discredit Russia.
'Once again, absolutely unfounded accusations are being made against the Russian side, aimed at discrediting Russia in the eyes of the international community,' the foreign ministry said in a statement on its website.
Russia insisted last year that the missile was fired by Kiev's forces, adding that it was sent to Ukraine in the Soviet era.
The war in eastern Ukraine and the MH17 disaster continue to plague relations between Russia and the West.
Since 2014, some 13,000 people have been killed. Kiev and its Western backers accuse Russia of funnelling troops and arms to back the separatists. Moscow has denied the claims despite evidence to the contrary.
The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) probing the attack includes Australia, Belgium, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Ukraine, representing the countries hardest hit by the disaster